Skimlinks

Saturday

Homemade Croissants

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” - Virginia Woolf


Personally, I always preferred baking to cooking ever since I was little. It all began when I joined cookery club in Primary school and we would bake all sorts of sweet little treats every week, only to take them home to gobble down in a matter of minutes. That's not to say I have baking skills to rival Nigella Lawson but I do get a thrill out of making something delicious from scratch. 

Now since I've been in Baku-my hometown, for summer holidays, I've been having cravings for authentic French croissants. 


Regrettably I still haven't managed to find a decent viennoiserie to satisfy my doughy desire. After some trial and error, and a disastrous first attempt that ended up with dough as tough as nails, I found this gem of a recipe (that even includes supportive youtube tutorials). (N.B. A tip before you eagerly begin making your treats - the amount of work you actually need to do isn't too long, but you need to make these over at least two days due to the amount of chilling time the dough needs, so plan in advance!)







Ms. Sandra's recipe proved to be a success and I ended up making a dozen buttery, flaky croissants.

The recipe is for plain pastries but I added some ham & cheese, and grated some chocolate right before rolling them into shape. Enjoy!




Homemade pastries

UPDATE: Baku now has a very authentic viennoiserie, everything in store is baked by a French chef and trust me when I say it is absoluteley delicious, Bakuvians and tourists, if you don't believe me, you can find them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment